Are you interested in joining one of the area’s legendary restaurants for great seafood, scenery and southern hospitality? Our team creates memorable moments for our guests every day. As a member of our team, you will experience a culture that thrives on exceptional service, employee recognition and financial reward. You’ll work in a fun, casual atmosphere with panoramic waterfront sunsets, work with caring coworkers and seasoned management and enjoy competitive benefits. From entry-level restaurant employment to management, we offer excellent opportunities, encourage developing careers and have employees who have worked here for more than 25 years.
The Spanish Fort/Causeway restaurant is hiring professional line cooks with a minimum of one year previous experience (preferred) in a fast-paced restaurant. If you’re a stickler for culinary craftsmanship, consistency and presentation, we want you. As a cook, you’ll focus on production, quality and visual appeal of each dish. Our Cooks rely on teamwork and willingness to learn and adapt. The ideal candidate provides other employees with assistance in the kitchen as needed and follows all sanitary and health-related protocols. Must be professional, well-groomed, have a positive disposition, and reflect our core values.
Starting rate of pay for this position is $13.00 an hour.
Company benefits [Learn more]:
- Major medical & dental through BCBS of Alabama;
- Supplemental insurance (life insurance, accident, short term disability, medical bridge) through Colonial;
- Employer-paid $25,000 life insurance;
- discounted meals;
- Educational opportunities;
- Vacation; and
- Closed for some major holidays such as: Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.
- Cook to Original Oyster House standards and according to food handlers’ guidelines
- Cook to order
- Willingness to learn and follow recipes
- Follow proper food handling techniques
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of cooking procedures
- Follow proper sanitation guidelines
- Be a team player
- Communicate well with co-workers and managers
- Be able to self-motivate in work environment
- Able to follow written or verbal instructions
- Reliability is a must – must have good transportation
- Maintains compliance with applicable health, safety, food handling, and hygiene codes and standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Performs all functions in accordance with applicable state laws and objectives of the Original Oyster House, as well as established policies, procedures, and controls.
- Basic understanding of or the ability to learn basic sanitation and regulations for workplace safety.
- Basic understanding of or the ability to learn food handling techniques, preparation, and cooking procedures.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to work well as part of a team or independently.
- Ability to work mornings, afternoons, evenings, some holidays, and weekend shifts. Some overtime hours may be expected during peak season.
Education and Experience:
- High school or vocational school coursework in kitchen basics such as food safety, preferred.
- At least one year of cooking experience in a fast-paced restaurant required.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (6+ hours) and working in a kitchen with extreme heat or cold.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to walk, lift, reach (both outward and upward), bend, twist and stoop frequently.
- Frequent stair-climbing and fast-paced walking.
The Original Oyster House is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, age, citizenship, military obligations, veteran status, disability status or other activities or statuses protected by law.