The Original Oyster House Boardwalk was once named “Bayou Village”. The shopping area was built in the early to mid-seventies. The building was originally a hospital in Fort Morgan in 1898. By the mid-twenties the population in Fort Morgan had dwindled so the building was floated up the Bayou, set it on Cypress stumps and it served bootleggers being close to the water. It’s also been the home of the Merchants Association, the precursor to the Chamber of Commerce here. It has also housed Meyer Real Estate. Lots of history here. Today there’s a variety of shops and eateries including Gulf Shores’ famous Original Oyster House.